Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) has unveiled two new pieces of hardware at its PlayStation Showcase 2023 event, along with a slew of upcoming games for PS5 and PSVR 2.
Project Q is a dedicated device that allows users to stream any compatible game installed on their PS5 console over Wi-Fi. The device features an 8-inch LCD screen with up to 1080p resolution at 60fps, as well as all the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. Project Q is expected to launch later this year, with more details to be announced in the coming months.
The company also revealed its first-ever official wireless earbuds, which will offer next-generation audio immersion for PS5 and PC games, as well as connectivity to smartphones via Bluetooth. The earbuds will use a new wireless technology developed by SIE, and will deliver lossless audio with low latency for a high-quality audio experience. The earbuds will also launch later this year.
In addition to the hardware announcements, SIE showcased a variety of games coming to PS5 and PSVR 2 from its own studios and third-party partners. These include;
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, a remake of the classic stealth-action game from Konami, developed by Bluepoint Games
- Spider-Man 2, a sequel to the critically acclaimed superhero game from Insomniac Games, featuring both Peter Parker and Miles Morales as playable characters
- Dragon’s Dogma 2, a follow-up to the cult-favorite action-RPG from Capcom, featuring a vast open world and dynamic combat system
- Alan Wake 2, a continuation of the psychological thriller from Remedy Entertainment, set in a new location and featuring new gameplay mechanics
- Final Fantasy XVI, the latest installment in the iconic JRPG series from Square Enix, set in a dark and gritty fantasy world
“Our fans expect and deserve a steady cadence of amazing content. Today’s presentation demonstrates our unwavering commitment to offering them the best and most varied catalog of games possible,” said Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SIE. “It also highlights the tremendous popularity and power of the PS5 as the global development community rallies to push its advanced capabilities to the limit. We’re investing heavily in the future with innovative best-in-class hardware like PlayStation VR2 and the newly revealed Project Q, and our expansion into PC, Mobile, and Live Service gaming is transforming how and where our content can be enjoyed.”